Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Milkweed

While I am sure I have dissected a milkweed plant at some point in my youth, I never really been as fascinated with it till now. Andrea and I stopped and examined the complexity of the milkweed and were amazed at the structures, textures, and possibilities for biomimicry (we were definitely in the design mode at this point).The milkweed has a soft case shaped similar to an elongated teardrop. Soft spikes aligned vertically run the whole length of the pod. When cracked open, the seeds are closely stacked on eachother to form a tube in the center of the pod.
The outer case has this complicated protective structure which reminded me of the texture of bone. Sticky milky substance was released when touched.When cracked open, the silky hairs are revealed. Each seed has a tail of the threads that allow the seed to float around with the wind.

No comments:

Post a Comment