Sunday, August 8, 2010

Shirt Detailing

Simple embellishments on old or plain t-shirts can go a long way. I had bought both these t-shirts for $5 at Marshall's and using some embroidery thread, material scraps and a button was able to make the shirts a lot more interesting.The fabric above was scraps of organic cotton that had a great heather grey tone on one side and a unbleached white on the other which I thought would make for a neat effect when rolled on a darker grey t-shirt. I hand-sewed using a blanket stitch and contrasting burgundy thread around the inside of the shirt collar. Final shirt:
This blue oversized t-shirt needed to be taken in on the sides and also gave extra fabric to do an overlap at the collar. I used a brown button I had extra and used it as a way to pin over the fabric. The shirt also had this odd gathering with an uninteresting stitch across the front chest area. I embellished that with a navy blue chain stitch to give the impression that the gathering was intentional, plus it matched the thread holding down the button.Final shirt:

No comments:

Post a Comment