Saturday, October 2, 2010

Corked

After many bottles of wine combined with some resourcefulness and finally the corks have another use. I really like the size and look of the large champagne corks and wanted to keep them intact as much as possible. I decided just to drill a hole into the cork and gluing a strong magnet inside.
I haven't been too impressed with many of the projects out there for use of corks. Of course the ideas haven't been popping (pun intended) into my head in abundance either. I decided to make use of the real cork corks (as opposed to plastic corks) for a trivet for hot plates and pans.
I used a scrap piece of Butternut wood and drilled in 36 shallow holes that the corks could sit in and to remove any gaps the gluing would have left. The wood was finished with linseed oil. I then cut down the lengths of the corks to about half their height (otherwise the trivet would have appeared unstable). I also cut four slivers of cork and placed those underneath the trivet so that the it wouldn't slide around on the table. A little glue and trivet is done!

No comments:

Post a Comment